MATRIC is a strategic innovation partner providing deep, uncommon expertise and infrastructure to solve the most challenging problems of science and technology. With expertise in chemicals, energy, environmental issues and advanced software, MATRIC enables its partners to move ideas from conception to market with speed and efficiency. MATRIC’s R&D business unit is headquartered in South Charleston, West Virginia. This business unit provides unbiased chemical process development, scale-up and research and development services to its chemical and energy focused, global customers.
MATRIC services for chemical and energy customers include expert technical consulting, process development, process improvement, laboratory scale research, and pilot plant construction and operation for scale-up and market development. MATRIC maintains a strong engineering staff with a high ratio of PhD’s with industrial experience to support these activities as a unique, full-service research organization.
The Separations Technology PhD candidate will be responsible for providing project support in many fashions. The principal role will be to support the pilot plant and laboratory staff in detailed designs of separations equipment, evaluation of research data, optimizing designs, and troubleshooting operations. While the successful candidate will have a background in multiple forms of separations, the primary focus will be on distillation to support MATRIC’s continued growth in this area. A detailed understanding of process modeling, small to intermediate scale distillation equipment design, scale-up of distillation, and the capability to manage advanced technical concepts such as reactive distillation and non-ideal separations will be critical to success. Will be working in South Charleston, WV.
The nature of MATRIC’s projects is such that technologies come and go as projects startup and shutdown, as is the nature of many research programs. The technologies are also varied as they come from many different types of companies and industries from around the world. The successful candidate must be flexible and capable of adapting to the changing requirements with each new project and to be capable of balancing the load of multiple projects.
- Design support for distillation projects in the pilot plant and laboratory areas, including detailed equipment design for Oldershaw and packed columns.
- Process modeling support with the knowledge to adjust the model parameters to match experimental observations and to translate model predictions into equipment designs.
- Interpretation of experimental data to improve and optimize process designs and to troubleshoot ongoing operations in MATRIC facilities.
- Assist project managers and the construction coordinator in the specification and procurement of separations equipment.
- Teach and mentor other MATRIC personnel in distillation design and operation techniques to continue to grow the internal knowledge base.
- Communicate closely with clients to understand their needs and to propose viable technical recommendations to advance their technology.
- Assist with early project scope development to prepare accurate proposals for contract preparation.
- Prepare close-out reports as necessary to allow the client to progress the technology through design and commercialization.
- Occasionally prepare separations articles for external publication in magazines or on MATRIC’s website to help promote the company’s technical capabilities and to continue to grow the client base.
- This role will have some flexibility on specific work hours, but it is expected that the successful candidate will be capable of supporting research programs with normal operating hours Monday-Friday 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Some flexibility will be required on the candidate’s part to support projects that may have abnormal hours, such as 24 hour and/or weekend operations.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, familial status, disability status, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, or current or future service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
- Company Name
- South Charleston, WV 25303
- PhD level degree in Chemical Engineering with a focus on separation techniques (preferably distillation)
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in a chemical or energy sector industrial environment.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience within an industrial research organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of industry experience in advanced distillation designs and operations.
- An in-depth knowledge of distillation design and operation including research scale equipment sizing and selection and scale-up to commercial designs.
- Ability to troubleshoot and optimize distillation operations based on operating data interpreted from the distributed control system and/or data historian.
- Advanced process modeling with Aspen Plus with an ability to interpret modeling data and to compare and adjust the model as appropriate based on experimental observations.
- A working knowledge of reaction kinetics and chemistry as it applies to reactive distillation design and/or undesired reactivity within distillation equipment or other operations.
- A good working knowledge of other vapor-liquid or liquid-liquid separations techniques such as stripping and extraction.
- A fundamental understanding of a variety of chemical unit operations, equipment, controls, and piping systems.
- Ability to work in a multi-functional team setting, including engineers, chemists, operating and laboratory technicians, management, and client personnel.
- Capability to work with fundamental project financial concepts such as NPV, ROI, CAPEX, etc.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with an ability to effectively summarize design and cost information.
- An understanding of basic chemical analytical techniques is preferred.
- MATRIC offers competitive pay commensurate to the candidate’s experience and education level.
- How to Apply