This position is responsible for the day-to-day operations and long term operational viability of the Hanging Rock, Ohio polystyrene production facility. The incumbent provides technical and operational leadership for the day-to-day operation of two polystyrene production lines. You must be able to appropriately identify, develop, and thoroughly evaluate potential value creating opportunities for inclusion into the Technology plan. Implements capital and expense projects with emphasis on operability and long term cost of ownership of those project installed assets. Applies engineering skills, analytical capabilities to improve plant operations, plant technology and management systems and, develop innovative and low cost solutions to plant problems. Partners with plant operators, maintenance personnel and other technical resources to secure process data for identification of process gaps, improvement opportunities, and project definitions. Implements most effective technology as defined by the business technology center. Utilizes and ensures compliance with appropriate approved work processes. Participates in cross functional teams involving manufacturing, engineering, quality, commercial and EH&S.
- Daily support and troubleshooting of process, process control and manufacturing equipment.
- Improvement projects focused on safety, reliability, productivity, product quality and cost.
- Participation in transfer of new scale-up from R&D/commercial.
- Provides work direction to groups including plant operators, EH&S, maintenance and logistics.
- Leads root cause investigations into incidents in the areas of safety, environmental, quality, process reliability and process safety. Implements corrective actions.
- Participates in audits of the production operation in the areas of safety, environmental, quality, process reliability and process safety. Implements corrective actions from audit findings.
- Implements best practices in order to optimize operations. Helps to implement most effective technology (MET) and ensures that specific operating discipline requirements are in place.
- Performs appropriate manage production roles such as technical advising, coordinating plant start ups and shutdowns, product quality, operate plant, operating discipline etc.
- Provides support for and updates to digital process control systems including troubleshooting and programming upgrades as necessary.
- Understands and applies skills and knowledge in statistical process control (SPC) technology, to maximize plant asset utilization and produce low cost, quality products.
- Initiates and works with production technicians and others to change plant operating procedures to ensure they are valid and up-to-date.
- Networks with other engineers on site and within the company to leverage knowledge and plant operations in all areas including production, improvement, process safety, environmental etc.
- As required, communicate technical information and issues to plant personnel, technology and others.
- As required participates on and leads teams in his/her area of accountability.