Charleston Kanawha Housing Authority
The duties of this position involve assisting with planning and carrying out of a modernization program for Charleston-Kanawha Housing Authority (CKHA). The purpose of the program is to rehabilitate public housing property and the incumbent is concerned with various aspects including assessing modernization needs, establishing a timetable for work to be done, applying for funds, inspection of work performed by private contractors, involved with developing specifications and advertising for bids, and insuring that required reports, accounts and budgets are completed. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities Maintenance. Manage and coordinate CKHA activities related to housing program compliance with the American with Disabilities (ADA) with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Work with CKHA management, staff, housing applicants, residents and resident advocates to obtain information to analyze and determine reasonable accommodation requests.
The following represents principal responsibilities of the position; however, they are not intended to be all-inclusive. CKHA reserves the right to change, reassign, or combine job duties at any time and at its discretion.
• Works with Directors, Facilities Manager and staff to plan and coordinate Modernization needs.
• Works with architect to monitor and review the modernization projects of CKHA.
• Verifies, codes and processes consulting architects and contractors pay estimates and monthly claims for payment.
• Works with the architect and directors to prepare specifications for certain housing projects.
• Prepares five-year plan, fiscal needs assessment, annual plan, and energy audit.
• Works closely with HUD on modernization funding and prepares application for yearly funding.
• Monitors the progress of construction projects to ensure conformance to design specifications, cost estimates, time schedules and construction budgets.
• Reviews plans prepared by consulting architects and contractors.
• Works with department staff to keep current, accurate records on each working project.
• Monitors budgets and expenditures
• Provide recommendations for annual and long-range modernization and development plans and budgets as required.
• Answers citizens’ questions relating to the various modernization projects and conducts public hearing regarding these projects.
• Writes and submit program progress reports.
• Monitor and supervise Section 3 work practices related to all modernization contracts. Implement and maintain files and reports related to these activities.
• Works with contractors and staff to coordinate services related to renovation of apartments, including, but not limited to, cleaning, painting, drywall, etc.
• Oversee and coordinate CKHA’s responsibilities to provide reasonable accommodation(s) to housing applicants, residents, and member of the public.
• Understand and follow directions.
• Enthusiastically promote the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)’s priorities for the operations of CKHA.
• Keep work area neat and clean in appearance.
• Regular attendance and punctuality are required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
WORK PLACE CONDUCT
CKHA’s goal is to develop a friendly, confident work environment. A good working relationship between co-workers, supervisors, and management is an important element in the success of everyone’s career. As a result, CKHA expects employees to be respectful of their co-workers, supervisors, managers, customers, clients, and vendors. Employees are expected to perform their work in a professional and accurate manner. The responsibility for ethical behavior rests with the individuals who work for the Housing Authority. CKHA’s reputation is built upon the acts of each employee. As a result, we expect our employees to be:
• Accurate in their communications, never misrepresenting the facts or shading the truth.
• Honest in promising what can be delivered and dependable in following through on work commitments.
• Display a positive image at all times.
This position is contingent upon the availability of grant funds.
Environmental Conditions: Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, will require standing, walking and periodic travel to CKHA properties.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will spend long hours sitting, using office equipment, and computers. Must be able to physically tour the house, grounds, any outbuildings (i.e. hallways, stairs, elevators, etc.), and construction sites. Involves frequent bending, reaching, climbing, squatting, walking; moving legs, arms, wrists and fingers. Ability to operate a company vehicle is mandatory for the performance of the job duties. Must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Must have good vision.
CKHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace
- Company Name
- Charleston Kanawha Housing Authority
- 1525 W Washington St, Charleston, WV 25387
- (304) 348-6451
Education/Knowledge/Licensure: Two or more years of college in the fields of Industrial Technology, Industrial Engineering, or related field. Must have a thorough knowledge of standard building construction principles, methods, and techniques; ability to read and understand plans and specifications; needs to be familiar with materials commonly used in multi-residential building construction and alteration; must have a general knowledge of building codes, statues, regulations, and other legal requirements applicable to construction and rehabilitation; must be able to assist with the preparation of plans, specifications, and contract documents; must be able to assess and evaluate differences between actual construction and plans; must have the ability to read, interpret, and revise blueprints and building plans. Requires a valid West Virginia driver’s license.
Skills: Must be proficient in Microsoft Operating System as well as Microsoft Office applications (Microsoft Word and Excel) AutoCAD experience is a plus. Ability to retain confidentiality of information. Requires strong skills in organization, concentration, time management, initiative, and attention to detail. Ability to work independently. Must be able to deal with frequent interruptions.
Experience: Five or more years working experience in the fields of residential and commercial building construction, building maintenance, rehabilitation or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above are typically acquired through the levels of education and experience listed. However, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience, which provide an applicant with the listed knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job, is acceptable.
Required Special Qualifications: None.
- Entry Level Hourly Rate - $19.08
- How to Apply
Applications Accepted Until Position Is Filled.
Employment Applications can be obtained by calling Mark Taylor at 304/348-6451, ext. 322, or Kim Casey at 304-348-6451, ext. 326, or visit www.ckha.com/jobs.htm to download and print an Application For Employment. Applications and resumes should be sent to the Human Resources Coordinator at P.O. Box 86, Charleston, WV, 25321. Click here to download an application for employment. Please be sure to specify the position for which you are applying.