Northwest Pipe Company
The Mill Operator is responsible for operating various mill equipment for steel pipe production. Assists in the departmental housekeeping and safety efforts and works collaboratively with other members of the department and production counterparts to ensure production workflow. Under ongoing supervision, operates spiral mill, counts and marks lengths of pipe, splices coil and completes proper documentation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follows all safety and company policies / procedures and promotes a safe culture.
- Complies with all OSHA safety requirements, work rules and regulations.
- Wear all required personal protective equipment.
- Operator various mill equipment.
- Grinds welds and splice pipe.
- Break down coils.
- Performs size control on mill.
- Performs length and pipe count.
- Complete mill reports.
- Inspects, cleans and performs basic preventative maintenance on machines and equipment.
- Maintain housekeeping within all production, storage and waste areas.
- Properly identify (mark) pipe with the use of spray paint.
- Follows all work instructions, procedures, and job safely analysis (JSA’s).
- Reading of drawings.
- Identify and report any unsafe working conditions or equipment.
- Effectively communicate issues to management.
- Safely operate machinery certified to use – overhead crane, forklift.
- Propose standard operating procedures (SOPs) and job safety analysis (JSAs).
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Company Name
- Northwest Pipe Company
- Washington, WV
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- High school diploma or equivalent; or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- FCAW/Semi Welding test
- Welding machines (wire & stick)
- Arc gouging equipment
- Overhead crane
- Lock-out Tag-out
- Small forklift certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk and climb or balance.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- Lifting and or retrieving items of 0-50 pounds without assistance; 50–100 pounds with assistance and 100+ pounds with mechanical assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Employees in this position are exposed to a wide range of varying degree of moderate to excessive noise levels.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- How to Apply