American Electric Power
The System Analysis group is a foundational part of the Distribution organization because we are involved with almost every aspect of providing service to the customer. Each Electrical Engineer is responsible for performing engineering work activities and projects requiring the application of engineering knowledge in a safe, effective, efficient manner for the accomplishment of assigned objectives. The following are activities that will be performed, but not limited to:
- Perform circuit loading and flow analysis utilizing CYME software
- Design circuit protection schemes using CYME TCC software
- Review daily, weekly and monthly reliability reports to identify opportunities for improvement
- Identify and develop reliability improvement plans for the assigned area
- Assist the Operations group with system issues whenever needed – 24/7 support
- Assist with Outage Restorations either in the office or in the field – travel may be required
- Provide guidance on large customer load additions and service plans
- Develop and score improvement projects for the annual work plan using the PVR tool
- Respond to customer inquiries and quality of service complaints – possible field work
- Design and coordinate the installation of Distribution Automation schemes (DACR)
- Provide engineering expertise to the Distribution Design group
- Support the DDC with load transfers and switching orders
- Provide / Install settings for electronic equipment including reclosers, regulators and capacitors
- Collaborate / communicate with various departments and groups across the company
- Provide Project Management support during phases of project development and construction
In addition to these specific activities, the following key competencies are needed:
- Technical Expertise
- Possesses entry-level knowledge and experience in the application of theory to solve well-defined problems or provide analysis
- Exhibits fundamental understanding of standards, codes and regulations relevant to the area of assignment
- Gains familiarity with standards, codes and regulations relevant to the area of assignment
- Gains familiarity with pertinent equipment, materials, systems and business processes.
- Company Name
- American Electric Power
- Huntington, WV 25701
Leadership & Guidance:
- Coordinates work activities of others as required.
- Performs work activities as assigned and coached by higher-level employees.
- Demonstrates ability to work with others in both supplying information and seeking assistance as necessary.
- Demonstrates willingness and capabilities to assume leadership roles.
Problem Solving & Initiative:
- Actively seeks out information and understanding of engineering problems and solution techniques applicable to area of responsibility
- Applies basic techniques to perform analysis associated with the resolution of routine technical problems
- Uses initiative in looking for opportunities and presenting new ideas and new approaches.
- Communication is essential to being successful in this position whether providing instruction to field personnel or responding to customer inquiries
- Assimilates information and instructions readily
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing and presents ideas clearly
- Listens to and understands instructions, and requests clarification as required.
Teamwork is key for this role.
The System Analysis group supports and provides guidance within our team and many other groups
- Begins networking with peers to share information and encourage cooperation
- Understands the agendas and perspectives of others
- Develops effective give-and-take relationship
- Relates to people in an open, friendly, and sincere manner.
- Knows which decisions they are authorized to make
- Develops decision-making skills under guidance of higher-level employees and makes routine decisions subject to review and contributes to team decision-making.
Business Awareness & Characteristics:
- Demonstrates an attitude and desire to listen to and satisfy both internal and external customers who use and depend upon their organizational unit’s work
- Applies economic analysis techniques in problem solving
- Pursues effective ways to protect and enhance the environment while providing reliable electricity at a competitive cost
- Active participation in professional and business organizations is encouraged
- Develops an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the department.
Engineer Associate Grade 5
This is an entry level position for new graduates with a Bachelor’s degree in engineering in a program accredited by ABET*; Passing the Fundamentals of Engineering examination in preparation for future licensing as a Professional Engineer (PE) is encouraged and preferred.
- ABET - Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. Acceptable alternatives are (1) a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (non-ABET), plus a Professional Engineers (PE) license in any state of the U.S. or (2) a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (non-ABET) plus a Master’s degree or PhD in engineering from a university with an ABET accredited Bachelor’s program.
Engineer Grade 6
Has typically acquired 2 or more years of related engineering experience along with a Bachelor’s degree in engineering in a program accredited by ABET*; Individuals with a Master’s degree in engineering from an engineering program accredited by ABET* may be considered for entry into the organization at this level.
Engineer Grade 7
Has typically acquired 4 or more years of related engineering experience along with a Bachelor’s degree in engineering in a program accredited by ABET*; or 2 years of related engineering experience along with a Master’s degree in engineering from a program accredited by ABET*; Individuals with a PhD in engineering from an engineering program accredited by ABET* may be considered for entry into the organization at this level; Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in any U.S. state or Puerto Rico** is encouraged and preferred.
Physical demand level is Sedentary
- How to Apply